Revels Job Opportunities
October 23, 2015
Music Director – Position Announcement
REVELS Inc. is accepting applications for the position of Music Director. This may be a full or a part-time position with an anticipated start date of April, 2016. Due to the wide range of Revels’ performing activities, Revels may consider hiring more than one person to fill its musical leadership needs.
Over its 45-year history Revels has grown to become one of the largest performing arts organizations in Greater Boston, with nine affiliate companies around the U.S. Its signature production The Christmas Revels is performed annually for an average of 20,000 people.
The candidate should be an exceptional all-round musician with extensive choral conducting experience and a passion and curiosity for traditional and world music.
Fluency in music notation software (Sibelius/Finale) is essential; familiarity with ProTools or other audio software is desirable.
The ideal candidate will share the goal of the Revels mission to “bring the world’s cultural traditions and celebrations to life” and the aspiration to expand the current audience base to include younger families, new audiences, youth, and people of diverse backgrounds.
- Working with the Artistic Director to create Revels stage productions and events.
- Researching, transcribing, arranging and notating music.
- Archiving music in paper and electronic formats.
- Auditioning and training adult and children’s choruses.
- Hiring guest musicians.
- Producing Revels recordings and music publications.
- Directing the Revels Singers, a community chorus, conducting weekly rehearsals and organizing public concerts.
- Collaborating with the Artistic Director on Revels FRINGE concerts and events.
- Directing an annual collaborative performance with Perkins School for the Blind.
- Participating in community activities including Revels salons, pub sings, harbor cruises and song leading for some of our outreach and educational programs.
- Writing and editing articles and program notes.
- Participating in fundraising activities as required.
- Being an articulate and representative voice for the company.
The Revels music director will also serve as a consultant and music resource to the Revels affiliate companies in Washington, D.C.; Houston; Santa Barbara; Oakland; Portland, OR; Tacoma, WA; Hanover, NH; and Boulder, CO.
To apply please send a cover letter and resume to Patrick Swanson, Artistic Director email@example.com.
We will begin reviewing applications on November 15, 2015.